Petition against Escalator Excise Tax on wine, beer, cider and spirits
Petition to the Government of Canada
- Canada has hundreds of quality wineries, breweries, cideries and distilleries from coast to coast and in every province and territory;
- Canada’s breweries and distilleries have stepped up and retooled through the COVID-19 pandemic to help manufacture hand sanitizer, often supplying to the public for free;
- Over 95% of the Canadian wineries, Breweries, cideries and distilleries are small businesses.
- Inflation, labour shortages, supply chain issues, increasing business debt and federal tax increases on businesses are already increasing costs at an unmanageable level for small businesses; and
- Recognizing that small business have been hit particularly hard during the COVID-19 pandemic and as a result of a volatile open-and-shut cycle;
We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to freeze the automatic Escalator Excise Tax on wine, beer, cider and spirits which is set to take place April 1, 2022.